Monday, February 4, 2013

Miniatures Monday--the Little Rocking Chair


My mom and I shared a love for small things--and we also shared a love for this little chair from her childhood!

This little rocker (shown here with the little cabinet my dad made for me when I was five) was always around as I grew up. 

I learned later that my grandfather had it made for Mom when she was a little girl, in about 1930, by a local carpenter who used the wood from shipping crates and containers to make useful objects. I love its apparent Arts and Crafts roots!  Mom also pieced its current seat cover--the chair has had a few coats of paint as well as layers of upholstery!

The little chair is still sturdy and strong, and is being enjoyed by my own grandchildren. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!